Atalaia’s Main Church, dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption (Nossa Senhora da Assunção), was built around 1528 by D. Pedro de Meneses, Count of Cantanhede. It is, possibly, the first Portuguese temple to employ a “new spatial image.”
The central body of the facade was raised, with four registers: in the first was opened the main portal, the second has a perspective window and the last two consist of the tower bell. The facade that we see today in the Main Church of Atalaia does not match the original building, since it was recently restored, in the thirties of the twentieth century.
Inside, the church is divided into three naves, covered with wooden panels, and the pulpit on the Gospel side, dated 1674. On top of the walls of the central nave, interspersing with the windows that illuminate the temple, seventeenth-century tile panels were placed, figuring scenes from the Old Testament.